Freqently Asked Questions about RVR
How do I drive RVR?
What boards can I use with RVR?
Where can I get the RVR SDK?
Visit our Get the Code pages to learn how to get the SDKs.
What languages can I use to program RVR?
- micro:bit - Python or using blocks with MakeCode
- Arduino - Arduino programming language (C/C++)
What IDE’s can I use?
- Raspberry Pi - Geany, Thonny, Nano, or Vi/Vim Note: If working on a Windows or Mac, you can use any IDE that supports Python (Pycharm, VS Code, etc), and transfer your files to the Raspberry Pi through SSH or Git.
- micro:bit - micro:bit Python Editor, Mu, Microsoft MakeCode
- Arduino - Arduino IDE and any other IDE’s that support the Arduino environment
How does RVR interface with other devices?
- Raspberry Pi - 4-pin UART
- micro:bit - USB Port Note: USB cable must support power AND data transfer
- Arduino - USB Port
Can I control RVR with an external board while controlling it with the Sphero EDU App?
Yes, it is possible to operate RVR from different sources, but care should be taken not to send conflicting commands (e.g. driving RVR with the app while issuing drive commands from a board). RVR's behavior is unpredictable in these scenarios.
How much power does RVR provide through its ports?
RVR outputs 5V from both the 4-pin UART port and USB port.
How big is RVR?
185L X 216W X 113H (mm)
How much weight can RVR carry?
250 grams, or about 2.5 newborn kittens.
How long does the battery last with continuous use?
30 minutes - 1 hour, depending on usage.
How long does it take to charge the battery?
1.5 hours - 3 hours.
From what distance can I control RVR over Bluetooth?
RVR's Bluetooth has a range of 10 meters.
What’s RVR’s maximum speed?
What’s the deal with asynchronous programming; why can’t I use just plain Python to program RVR?
When operating RVR through a custom multitasking program, operations will take time to complete and return data. This could block the execution of the program, which may not be desired. Asynchronous programming allows multitasking programs to continue execution without blocking, and provide faster response times.
TL;DR - Asynchronous programming allows commands to be executed more quickly.
Is RVR waterproof?
No, RVR never learned how to swim.
What surfaces can RVR drive on?
RVR can easily drive on most indoor surfaces (concrete, tile, hardwood, carpet), and flat outdoor surfaces such as short grass, dirt, mulch, sand, sidewalks, and gravel. If you operate RVR outdoors, be prepared to clean the treads!
What sensors are included on RVR?
- Color sensor
- Infrared sensors
- Ambient Light Sensor
What can I add to RVR?
- Ultrasonic sensor
- Motion sensor
- Air-quality sensors
- After-market IR sensors
- Any sensor that is compatible with boards listed above!
Be sure to visit our partners’ websites to find other devices for your projects!
- Sparkfun: https://www.sparkfun.com/
Are there simple examples I can look at to learn how to program RVR?
Yes! There are some simple getting-started programs included with the SDK:
- Coming Soon!
- Coming Soon!
What are some cool things I can do with RVR?
Didn't find what you're looking for?
Check in with the community!